Joseph Baldwin Academy
Arrival & Departure
- Students attending Session I or Session II for the Joseph Baldwin Academy will check in at Ryle Hall (residence hall) on the first Saturday of their scheduled session.
- When you receive your Welcome Guide email, it will also contain a link to sign up for a time slot to check in.
- You may arrive on campus prior to this time and stay after this time to attend any of the scheduled events, meals, etc.
- Arrival times will be staggered between 10 am and 4 pm.
What to Expect During Check-In
Arrive at Ryle Hall parking lot and leave your luggage in your car until you have completed the registration process.
Come into the main doors, where you will see Joseph Baldwin Academy Staff with STAFF t-shirts on to greet and direct you.
You will then go through several tables to ensure you do not miss anything before you will be able to get your room assignment and key. After all pieces of registration are complete, you may unload your car and move in.
See below the different pieces to registration on check-in day – these are not in the order that you will go through them:
- Medical Table – You and your parents will turn in all medication (prescription and over the counter) with the Health & Wellness Director. Medications need to be in the original bottle with the directions that we must follow to dispense.
- Exceptions will be made for students who have certain medications, such as a rescue inhaler.
- These are on a case by case basis.
- For safety of all students and to prevent any potential issues, it is preferential that students not keep any medication in their rooms.
- Room Assignment Table(s) – Here you will check in and receive your room assignment. You will also receive your room key, ID card, get a copy of how to send mail to students, confirm telephone numbers, and mail information.
- Lost/missing keys may have a $40.00 charge for replacement.
- Lost/missing ID cards may have a replacement fee.
- Activities Table – Here you can choose what activities you would like to do later that day after you have moved in. You may also choose to indicate any special food preferences, music and movie favorites. You will also be asked to fill out an activity survey.
- The Bank – You may deposit any spending money in “The Bank” with the Residence Life Director. This will allow the funds to be made immediately available to you when the Bank is open.
- If you deposit checks, you will have to go to the Cashier’s Office in McClain Hall throughout the session in order to receive money.
- Your parents may wish to leave a check at the bank to pay for any visit to the doctor’s office or medication if you happen to get ill during the session.
Last summer most students chose to spend around $150-200 dollars for miscellaneous items. These included JBA souvenir items, snacks, movies, housing group activities, swimming, trip to Wal-Mart and items for the Halloween Party.
Preceptors will be available to assist you with move in and help you carry your belongings to your room. If you haven’t eaten lunch yet, we encourage you and your parents/guardians to eat in the Ryle Cafeteria. Students and their families can purchase lunch for a minimal fee. JBA provides lunch for students, however parents/guardians and other visitors will need to pay for their meals on check-in day – cash or check only.
Students attending Session I must check out of the residence hall on Friday, June 30.
Students attending Session II must check out of the residence hall on Friday, July 28.
There will be two check out times scheduled one in the afternoon and one in the evening – specific time frames will be posted at a later date.
Check-out at the Academy
The cafeteria will have lunch and dinner available for students and their parent/guardian. Both meals are included in the JBA tuition for students; however, the parent/guardian will be responsible for their own lunch and/or dinner.
Packing Up!- After connecting with your student, you may go with him/her up to their room and begin bringing your student’s belongings directly outside to your vehicle. Remember to check the closet, bathroom, under all furniture and drawers. We also encourage the checking of the lost and found table.
We do not recommend bringing belongings to the main lounge, as it will already be crowded with other students and families. If you notice that the room is not properly clean, students can get cleaning supplies from the floor lounge. It must be cleaned and inspected by a preceptor before being able to finish check out. Once the room is cleaned out, your role is essentially done. The student will return to the main lounge with the room key.
Items & Room Table – Students will then return any items that they may have borrowed from the Hall Desk while at the Academy such as extension cords, iron, vacuum, etc.
Medical Table – The students will pick up any medication that was checked in with the Health and Wellness Director. Parent/guardian will have the chance to talk with the Health & Wellness Director at this time.
The “Bank” – The students will withdraw any money they have remaining in the Bank.
Keys – This is when students will return their room key.
Hall Store – Students and Families will have one more opportunity to make any last purchases such as t-shirts, memorabilia, drinks, snacks, etc.