Summer Sessions at Truman State University
JBA: A Pre-College Summer Academy
The Joseph Baldwin Academy is a three-week residential program on the Truman State University campus that offers an academically challenging curriculum for students in grades 7-9.
This summer academy introduces highly talented middle and junior high students to college life in general.
- live in a residence hall and adapt to living with a roommate
- select from classes offered in all areas of the liberal arts, including the humanities, fine arts, natural sciences, and social sciences
- work with exceptional teachers, engage in the Truman community, and make new friends from around the country
June 8 – 28, 2024
July 6-26, 2024
The JBA Experience
JBA students get a head start on their future university careers by living like college freshmen for three weeks. During their time on campus, students:
- gain an increased appreciation for the pleasures of education and intellectual engagement
- discover a place where students are accepted for who they are
- learn what a college experience looks like first hand
- grow both academically and socially as they interact with other high-ability students
Student eligibility to qualify for nomination
- Students who will complete the 7th, 8th, or 9th grade at the conclusion of the current academic year
- High achievers as indicated by GPA, IQ, enrollment in gifted courses, high standardized test scores, or equivalent measurement
Who can nominate a student?
- guidance counselors
- school principals
- gifted education teachers
- parents of home-school students
- October 25, 2023: Nominations by educators due
- November 2023: Applications open
- December 3, 2023: Priority consideration deadline
- January 7, 2024: Final deadline to accept applications
- Final week of February/First week of March 2024: Notification of acceptance to Academy
We’re here to help.
Joseph Baldwin Academy
Truman State University
100 E. Normal Ave.
Kirksville, Missouri 53501