We expect our students to meet the highest standards of behavior, both in personal deportment and in dedication to academic pursuits. Students will:
- Strive to do the best work possible in their courses;
- Respect individuals of different races, cultures, religions, genders, disabilities, personal appearances, sexual orientation and national origins;
- Behave in a friendly, cooperative, and responsible manner toward all persons in the JBA community and in the larger college and local communities;
- Attend all class sessions, meals, activities, and meetings observing all rules for student conduct;
We cannot accommodate students who are unable to live up to these expectations.
Once students arrive on campus, they will learn about our standards for behavior, including residential life as well as our academic rules, at orientation. They include a commitment to academic integrity, respect for all members of the community, regard for the basic rules of physical safety, and cooperation with adult supervision.
Students may be dismissed from the program for any of the following reasons:
- Possessing or using tobacco, alcohol, or drugs (students possessing any of these items will be immediately dismissed from the Academy);
- Not attending to their academic work in a satisfactory manner;
- Cheating, plagiarizing, or committing other acts of academic dishonesty;
- Being in restricted areas of campus, or leaving campus, unaccompanied by a staff member, preceptor or parent/guardian;
- Being in an opposite-sex wing of the residence hall;
- Leaving their halls after lights out;
- Stealing or vandalizing property;
- Keeping prescription or over-the-counter medication in their possession (see Medications for limited exceptions);
- Bullying or hazing;
- Undermining the safety or well-being of self or others (including threats).
Students may be disciplined for the following reasons:
- Students who use disrespectful or obscene language;
- Students who demonstrate a lack of effort in the classroom or who engage in disruptive behavior;
- Inappropriate behavior or violations of rules.
The Director will refer students involved in repeated or serious incidents to the Dean, who serves as the head disciplinarian. The Dean has the authority to dismiss students based on inappropriate behavior inside or out of the classroom. Students expelled from the Academy will not receive a refund. Families of students expelled from the Academy – regardless of their distance – will be responsible for any expenses associated with their son or daughter’s early return, including airfare, van mileage and associated costs.