What is JBA?
The Joseph Baldwin Academy offers highly talented students a head start on their future university careers by allowing them to spend three weeks as college freshmen: they move into a residence hall, adapt to living with a roommate, eat dorm food, make new friends, attend classes, and work with Truman State’s faculty. We believe that many middle school and junior high students are not being challenged enough in their regular classrooms. The primary goal of the Academy is that our students leave with an increased appreciation for the pleasures of education, intellectual engagement, and the college experience. Along the way we expect that they will grow both academically and socially as they interact with other high-ability students from across the country.
Overview of the Academy
Truman State University created the Joseph Baldwin Academy in 1985 in order to provide the benefits of a liberal arts education to students beyond its own undergraduates. Since then the Academy has grown in size from 4 classes with 60 students to 20 classes with around 400 students in 2019. The Academy provides courses in all areas of the liberal arts, including the humanities, fine arts, natural sciences, and social sciences. All of the Academy’s classes are challenging, for they are designed to be the approximate equivalent of a semester-long university course offered during the regular academic year. The faculty members of the Academy’s classes structure their courses to suit the interests and abilities of the talented students who make up our student body. The Dean has personally selected the JBA faculty members, choosing some of the most exceptional teachers/scholars among Truman and alumni.
Students who are currently enrolled in the 7th, 8th, or 9th grade may be nominated by their school counselor or principal. Students must be identified as a high achiever as indicated by GPA, IQ, enrollment in gifted courses, high standardized test scores, or equivalent measurement (see Admissions on this site for details). If you are a student who meets these requirements and would like to attend the Academy, but have not been nominated by your school, please contact us at email@example.com.
- All nominations from principals and counselors are due October 18, 2021.
- All student applications are due December 3, 2021.
- The professors were outstanding and the content covered was interesting. I’m glad I took this class!
- It was a fantastic experience. I’m glad I came and I will be here next year. Best part of my summer by a mile!
- This is a great program. I feel like my life has been changed.
- Here you are not judged for anything. I can be myself. Thank you, you have made this the best summer I’ve ever had!
- I love it here and I want to be a preceptor if I can.
- I love this place. It’s been an honor!!
- All three years have been amazing! I’ve had so much fun at JBA and made so many new friends.
- I will definitely come back next year. I’ve met so many amazing people and have learned so much. These are memories I will never forget. Thank you JBA!
- JBA has been one of the best academic programs I’ve ever attended!
Feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have at firstname.lastname@example.org or (660)785-5406.