Students attending Session I will check in at the residence hall on Saturday, June 10, at any time after 10:00 a.m. but before 4:00 pm. Students attending Session II will check in at the residence hall on Saturday, July 8, at any time after 10:00 a.m. but before 4:00 pm.
Check-in at the Academy
We would like to also provide you with some additional information regarding move-in day so that you will know what to expect. Please come to Ryle Hall Lounge to check in but leave your luggage in your car until you have completed the registration process (approximately 15-20 minutes).
When you first enter the lounge of Ryle Hall to register, it may look a little chaotic. If you have any questions, ask anyone wearing a Joseph Baldwin Academy Staff t-shirt for help. We will have several tables set up to facilitate your check-in:
- Room Assignment Table – Here you will check in and receive your room assignment. You will also receive your room key, student address, telephone number, and mailbox combination. A $40.00 room key deposit will be required upon check-in to cover lost keys. When you return your key at the conclusion of the Academy, you may receive a refund of this deposit or apply it towards the full purchase of a JBA DVD, Poster and Memory Book, highlighting all classes and activities at the Academy. All proceeds will go towards the Joseph Baldwin Academy Scholarship fund.
- Bookstore Table – The Truman Bookstore will have a table set up to sell textbooks for your classes. Please make checks payable to Truman Bookstore. You may also order your books before you arrive this summer at the Truman Bookstore web site at http://truman.bkstore.com. Go to Summer classes and then click on JBA. The courses will be listed. The “Welcome Guide” lists the anticipated cost of your books (tax is not included in that figure).
- Activities Table – Here you can choose what activities you would like to do later that day after you have moved in. You may also choose to indicate any special food preferences, music and movie favorites. You will also be asked to fill out an activity survey.
- Medical Table – You and your parents will turn in all medication (prescription and over the counter) with the Health & Wellness Director and fill out a form to let us know how to dispense the medicine. Exceptions will be made for students who carry inhalers on a case by case basis. Students may not keep any medication in their rooms!!
- Memento Table – Yes, it may sound strange to be talking about preserving memories of JBA before the session even begins, but we want your parents to be aware of the JBA DVD, JBA Memory Book and Truman State University t-shirts. All proceeds go to the JBA Scholarship Fund (and we raised over $18,000 for the fund last year!). You can also pick up a news release to send to your local newspaper.
- The Bank – You may deposit any spending money in “The Bank” with the Residence Life Director. To assist our staff, we ask that you bring cash for your deposit. This will allow the funds to be made immediately available to you when the Bank is open. If you deposit checks, you will have to go to the Cashier’s Office in McClain Hall throughout the session in order to receive money. Your parents may wish to leave a check at the bank to pay for any visit to the doctor’s office or medication if you happen to get ill during the session.
Last summer most students chose to spend around $120-150 dollars for miscellaneous items. These included JBA souvenir items, laundry facilities, snacks, movies, housing group activities, swimming, trips to Wal-Mart, food at the all-nighter, and items for the Halloween Party.
Once these things have been taken care of, you are now ready to get your luggage and move into your room. Preceptors will be available to assist you with move in and help you carry your belongings to your room. If you haven’t eaten lunch yet, we encourage you and your parents to eat in the Ryle Cafeteria. The Ryle Cafeteria will be open from 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. Students and their families can purchase lunch for a minimal fee. JBA does not provide students with lunch on check-in day.